1. City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4) / Cassandra Clare + 7. City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) / Cassandra Clare + 27. City of Heavenly Fire (Mortal Instruments #6) / Cassandra Clare = I finally finished this series! But why do epilogues exist. They so rarely do right. 4. Dead Reckoning /Charlaine Harris – only two left… 31. A Discovery of Witches / Deborah Harkness – ReadItGirls book club pick! Supernatural yoga (!) and yet, no. Just no. 23. Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles #1) / Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl – 1 of 3 Valentine books from bae.
One of my favorite things in 2011 was the book club that I participated in – until that book club fell apart and I moved abroad…so in late 2012 I started another one. We had quite the year.
1. World War Z / Max Brooks: I’m surprised by how much I liked this zombie book
2. Batgirl Vol. 1 / Gail Simone: ❤
3. The Crimson Petal & the White / Michel Faber: Great for discussion as long as you don’t go with the reader’s guide questions (“Describe how Faber exemplifies & perfects postmodern literature”)
4. Minor Characters / Joyce Johnson: Making me proud of my choice to not read the Beats
5. Terrier / Tamora Pierce: I’ll never look at pigeons the same way again
6. How to be a Woman / Caitlin Moran: Excellent for people who don’t think they’re feminists (*spoiler alert*: you probably are)
I recently finished book #20 of my reading goal for 2012. Since leaving DC, I’ve found that I have less built-in time for reading every day (no more metro rides/waiting for the metro — it’s bittersweet). My pace has also slowed down due to George R. R. Martin and his absurdly long epic fantasy tomes. (But I love them, so I can’t really complain!)
Here’s what I’ve been reading, in reverse chronological order.
20. The Glass Castle – so. good.
19. A Storm of Swords – the longest, most action-packed Martin book yet
18. Eragon – meh
17. The Handmaid’s Tale – LOVED the ending
16. Girls of Riyadh – bought this one at the Arlington Library book sale (which is the best book sale EVAR), pretty good